Recipe: Easy Pesto
Summary :“This blends basil and arugula, giving it a hands down WOW factor.”
- 1 cup solidly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup solidly packed fresh arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3/4 cup Parmigiano Regiano
- 3 cloves garlic, cut into pieces
- 2 Tbsps softened (room temperature) unsalted butter
- coarse salt
- freshly ground pepper
- In a blender or food processor blend basil, arugula, oil and garlic until smooth.
- On medium heat, toast pine nuts until golden brown (they burn VERY easily so be careful).
- Incorporate toasted pine nuts, cheese and butter with previously blended ingredients, blending again for 2 minutes on medium speed. Salt and pepper to taste. You can refrigerate the pesto and it will keep for at least a week.
-Don’t heat it! Rule number one is don’t heat the pesto. Let the pesto set at room temperature and add to hot pasta, top vegetables or bread. -Serve over fettuccine or penne pasta. -Toast thin slices of baguette under the broiler. Remove from the oven and top with a couple large teaspoons of pesto. Add chopped fresh tomatoes. -Mix pesto with cream cheese to make the BEST dip for veggies and crackers. -Try to get your ingredients from your local farmer’s market!